Thursday, September 29, 2005

OooOOooOoOo Look at all the pretty colours....

Well there is nothing more beautiful than a walk with my two pupheads on a crisp cool morning looking at all the leaves that have turned colours. Unlike the commercial where the woman walking down the street falls into complete horror scream (a la Psycho) when she sees a lone red leaf upon the sidewalk, I look forward to this sign of changing times. I can say this with the upmost honesty, I hate summer. I hate the heat, I hate the humidity, I hate having to go to work in 85 degree weather wearing my Navy uniform, adorning my 20 lb duty belt, and strapping unbreathable kevlar to my chest. There really is no sense in denying that I cannot stand it. Maybe I would enjoy it more if I were in the pool business, or something that didn't require the inferno suit. I kind of went on a rant there, but I love Fall.. It marks the beginning of the holiday season. Which means that we come home, from whatever we are doing, home is the most important thing during this time. We return to our roots so to speak. It begins with the harvest, yes I know that *I* personally, and most of my colleagues and friends are not physically doing the harvest, but instead we are harvesting at the local grocery store or farmers market, hoarding away goodies which we know will not return in such good price until this time next year. We then pull out old ratty juice stained recipe cards, or books that the binding has come loose and make jams, jellies, pickles and preserves, thus the modern harvest. The first holiday I cannot waitr to enjoy is Thanksgiving.. forbidden turkey... hardly attempted at any other time of the year (until recently) the bird that takes no less than 3 days to prepare and a full day in your oven at just the right temperature and humidity, too hot, makes a beautiful outer shell but the insides end up drier than a popcorn fart in a windstorm, too cool and You might as well set a place for the bird itself to join in the feast of vegetables which you will be dining on. I thought I would share a collection of my favourite fall photographs that we have taken over the past few years.. This pic was taken outside Medicine Hat Alberta, I have a few more for the Alberta Wheat Pool.. It just amazes me that these Canadian Icons are slowly dissappearing from our Canadian landscape. If you see one, document it, your kids might one day ask what the heck a grain elevator is. This pic was taken near Parry Sound, On. I don't have any photos from the Dorset fire tower to show, but if you ever have the chance, it is absoloutely breath taking and worth the climb! We took this pic in Mountain Park AB. Mountain Park was a town of 1500 before the coal mine closed. Whats left of the CNR railline is all that is left today. To see more pics on Mountain park please visit http://stewart.railfan.net/rail/mp.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home