Thursday, August 31, 2006

Placenta Pill

You know, I just can't believe the support and strength that I pull from my fellow bloggers, journallers, and charting groups. Ladies, you are FUCKING AMAZING! Thank you. I wish I could thank each one of you individually for all you have done for me. I have been doing my homework, why? because I am obsessive compulsive and I hate housework, so I must channel my obsession elsewhere. LOL. I was rather dismayed that Dr.P would dismiss any thoughts of prescribing prednisone prior to ER to suppress my immune response, I had written a nasty letter outlining that this would be the only IVF that C and I would be doing as we just cannot afford it emotionally any more. If this fails, than, well great, life goes on. We live Child free, there will be no adoption, no surragocy, no further attempts (well maybe in 5 or 10 years when the technology has changed and furthered again) I must sit here and think in 10 years I will only be 38, and will probably still be able to physically do IVF again.. but this is an issue that I won't be exploring if this cycle fails for a very long time. Back to the Prednisone issue.. I did my research and with all of the side effects that prednisone comes with (leathery cardboard lungs, cardiac issues, opens infections, fucks up natural production of corticosteroids) the increase in success while using prednisone during IVF is only 1%. There is a chinese herb called tai-bao (human placenta pill) that shows much more promise at low doses of a 76% success rate (prednisone and placebo groups were 36% and 37% respectively) . As disgusting as it sounds, I am hunting down tai-bao now.

5 Comments:

Blogger hope548 said...

I don't blame you for wanting to give yourself the best chance possible! I'd do it!

8/31/2006 12:15:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of that, but then again, I am not too familiar with many of the Chinese herbs. I hope you find it!

If you are in the Barrie area, I am in Mississauga, so really, we aren't far. Maybe we will have to do lunch!

8/31/2006 05:08:00 p.m.  
Blogger TraceyF said...

I actually do my grocery shopping at Whole Foods in Oakville, my mom lives in your neck of the woods so I am there quite often.. lunch is definitely a possibility.

8/31/2006 05:37:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave no stone unturned eh? That's about all we can do.

On another note, someone told me once that chinese herbs should not necessarily be mixed with fertility drugs since the doctors can't tell what's in them and some are quite potent.

I don't know how much truth is in that and I think it's a decision that has to be made on a person to person basis.

Good luck!

8/31/2006 10:01:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the dictionary of Chinese pharmacology, Tai bao isn't an herb, it's made out of aborted fetuses and placenta. Read the book "Stiff" by Mary Roach, pg. 235.

1/30/2009 07:59:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home